Blizzard officially announced Reaper of Souls as the expansion to Diablo III at GamesCon on Wednesday morning. Normally I’d write a Suggested Reading post for Thursday, but I had to give this its own post.
Like most people predicted, Malthael, formerly the Archangel of Wisdom, returns as the Angel of Death, intent on stealing the Black Soulstone. As usual, Blizzard creates an exciting trailer that has be ready to play Reaper of Souls. I got the announcement from Eldorian’s post at BlizzPro.
- the crusader, a new class, a holy knight;
- an increased level cap at 70;
- a new loot system in which there are less drops but they’re more likely to be optimized for your character;
- changes to the paragon system;
- loot runs, short, randomized dungeons;
- transmogrification and enchants through the mystic
Most of my friends weren’t happy with Diablo III, but I really enjoyed it. Part of this probably came from the fact that I only played through it once. I finished normal as a demon hunter, and afterwards, I tried a demon hunter in hardcore as well a monk in normal. Neither made it to Act II. I didn’t really consider this a problem as I wasn’t expecting to continuing progressing like I did in earlier installments. I think this probably saved me from seeing problems other saw. Whatever the reason, I really enjoyed Diablo III, and Reaper of Souls looks great. I had no problems with the tone of the core game, but I’m looking forward to this darker feel as well.
Hopefully it’s not too far away!